b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Isaiah 53:8

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Harold R. Holmyard III" <hholmyard AT ont.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Isaiah 53:8
  • Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 11:55:02 -0500

Dear Vadim,

With this attitude, how can you disagree with Rolf?

HH: It's not an attitude. It's an awareness of the subtlety of meanings that words carry and a need to reflect these accurately in translation.

He is saying essentially
the same thing: that there are waw's, which do not reverse the tense.

HH: I'm talking about MiN. He's talking about waw and the imperfect. Let's not confuse things. It's not the same issue. Rolf's issue has to do with the development of the verb historically and whether what we see in the text actually reflects two different verbal developments which now exhibit the same form. It is a detailed matter involving the use of verbs in Ugaritic and elsewhere, it is found in the grammars under treatment of the imperfect verb, and it is not closely related to what I am talking about.

HH: What I'm talking about is that prepositions developed numerous functions in the Hebrew language. Even if all those functions could be attributed to a single lexeme in Hebrew, when a transfer of the functions is made into English, a single lexeme does not suffice to express them all accurately. You are not a native English speaker, but I assume the same would be the case with the Slavic languages.

At least, you may agree that my translation is statistically more probable
than yours, since it relies on the much more common meaning. And I would
agree that your translation better conforms to the Christian doctrine.

HH: It has little or nothing to do with the Christian doctrine. Translation of Hebrew prepositions does not proceed on the basis of favoring a particular rendering. It proceeds by finding the word that best expresses the idea conveyed by the Hebrew word. So if the word that does that best is "by," then that is fine. As I have said before, the lexicon shows many places where immediate or efficient cause is the idea of MiN.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard