b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Isaiah 53:8

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "UUC" <unikom AT paco.net>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Isaiah 53:8
  • Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 10:08:55 +0300

Dear Harold,

Even if correct, these are only few instances from the multitude of min
entries. So qualify as highly irregular. Or do we appeal do statistical
probability of a particular reading only in discussions with Rolf?
But even these cases are open to question, please see below.

> HH: "He was taken away by oppression and judgment." He was taken away
> from his generation and from life.
Like Lamech, Elijah and possibly Enoch? Hardly the author would ascribe this
to his contemporary, especially the one whom he recommends to repent.

Sincerely,

Vadim

> >Usage of min as instrumental be is extremely non-standard, as you know.
In
> >fact, I'm not sure there is any case where we can interpret min as
> >instrumental with certainty. Do you?
>
> HH: Here are some references the lexicon gives:
>
> Gen 19:36 "became pregnant by their father"
from their father (by is an English convention, you would say from in Slavic
languages)
> Gen 49:25 "by the God of your father"
again, from is a better choice
> Hos 7:4 "heated by the baker"
this case is in between; another common meaning of me, besides from, is
because of; because of the baker; but because of is not really instrumental;
this difference is blurred in English, but is clear is Slavic, which drew
heavily from Hebrew