b-hebrew - RE: [b-hebrew] Isaiah 53 read within the book as a whole

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Lisbeth S. Fried" <lizfried AT umich.edu>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [b-hebrew] Isaiah 53 read within the book as a whole
  • Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 09:55:18 -0400

Dear Vadim,et. al.
I'm enjoying this conversation immensely, btw.

Anyway, it is ridiculous to translate torah as "teaching."
It is his law of course, data, in Old Persian.
The notion of torah in Hebrew, data in Persian, hp in Egyptian,
all carry the same connotations. They denote right order,
right custom, correct procedure, traditional values. The
data of the king in every Persian inscription is also at
one and the same time the data of Ahura Mazda. Ahuha
Mazda has made the king's word law, data. For Hebrew
writers of course the data of the king is the torah of
YHWH. This is what's going on in Ezra 7:25,26 as well.
When you translate torah as law, it all becomes clear. But
understand law not in a sense of a legislature sitting
around formulating laws, but rather of royal edicts
which are the will of the relevant god. Of course, everything
is the will of the relevant god (YHWH or Ahura Mazda or Re).

Torah should be translated "law" everywhere. See also
51:4,5 where it is parallel with mishpat, law and order,
law and correct decisions. YHWH's arm is Cyrus of course.
Best,
Liz