b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Isaiah 53 read within the book as a whole

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "UUC" <unikom AT paco.net>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Isaiah 53 read within the book as a whole
  • Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 17:28:52 +0300

>I have put my spirit upon him (certainly as a result of
being the Messiah, the Anointed One, to enable him to
carry out my purpose).<
No, spirit was on the prophets without them being messiahs.

>He does not (need to) shout or raise his
voice in the street. He will not break a weak reed nor
extinguish a flickering flame (he will not oppress the weak).<
Possible reading. We just disagree with you on how plausible it is.

> > > , in 48:14ff, in 49
> > > obviously not in vs.3,4?
> > I omit "Israel" in 3.
> Omit it also from the discussion with Abram, and you would
> get Persians a chosen nation
>Israel was formed to bring Israel back to YHWH? (vs 5)?
I would say that 5-7 is an insert. When spotting interpolation, we should
look for the purpose. No purpose in inserting Israel in vs.3.

>Guilt is not a precondition of responsibility.
>I'm responsible if my children damage something.
Only if you are guilty of negligence.

Best regards,

Vadim