b-hebrew - RE: [b-hebrew] Isaiah 53 read within the book as a whole

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Lisbeth S. Fried" <lizfried AT umich.edu>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [b-hebrew] Isaiah 53 read within the book as a whole
  • Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 16:21:56 -0400

Dear Peter,
I don't think I'm disagreeing here.
The king's edicts, once spoken, are the will of the god,
and cannot be changed.
This also goes for the king's satraps, governors, etc.
They represent the king, speak in his name, and in the name
of the god.
This is why I see Ezra coming after Nehemiah. Ezra
grants immunities to the priests and temple personnel,
but in Nehemiah you see them working on the city wall.
Work on the wall is liturgia, corvée labor. In order
for that to have occurred under Nehemiah (and under the
satrap, Neh. 3:7), Nehemiah must have been governor prior
to the priests having received exemptions from the king
in the time of Ezra. This is also why some officials
reported to Ezra upon his arrival that there were intermarriages
going on. Nehemiah had already forbade them, but other officials
were engaged in them anyway. THis is the rebellion.
Nehemiah's edicts were the law of the god and the king.
Best,
Liz