b-hebrew - RE: [b-hebrew] Isaiah 53 read within the book as a whole

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Harold R. Holmyard III" <hholmyard AT ont.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: RE: [b-hebrew] Isaiah 53 read within the book as a whole
  • Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 21:52:05 -0500

Dear Liz,

> HH: The priests were working on the wall because
they loved their country. They loved God and
their country. They were part of a team that the
> returned Israelites formed under Nehemiah.

Sure, and I've a bridge to sell you too.
Do you think they would have done it if
Nehemiah, the Persian governor, and the
satrap of Beyond the River hadn't ordered
them to? Really, do you think they had a choice?

HH: Why do you think Nehemiah was building that wall? Was it because he worked for the Persian governor? That helped, but the real reason was that he loved God and felt concern for the people who had repented and returned to Israel (Neh 1:9). Why do you think those people building the wall went back to Israel? These returnees were the faithful ones who believed in the nation. The priests were priests of the living God. They knew that a wall needed to be built if they were to have strength as a people and nation. Doubtless they shared Nehemiah's vision. Remember that Nehemiah learned of the need to rebuild the wall from his brother and other men from Judah (Neh 1:2). Nehemiah came, saw the city, and told the Jews about his goal of rebuilding the wall. This is what they said:

Neh 2:18 "Let's start rebuilding," and they were encouraged to do this good work.

Hh: The following sentence shows the attitude of the builders:

Neh 4:6 So we rebuilt the wall entire the entire wall was joined together up to half its height, for the people had the will to keep working.

HH: The people wanted to do this because it needed to be done. Praise the Lord even King Artaxerxes saw the wisdom of rebuilding Jerusalem's wall and granted Nehemiah the timber to rebuild the gates of the temple's fortress, the city wall, and even a home for Nehemiah (Neh 2:8). So the people had the resources to accomplish this task.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard