b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Isaiah 53 read within the book as a whole

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "UUC" <unikom AT paco.net>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Isaiah 53 read within the book as a whole
  • Date: Sun, 23 May 2004 20:49:01 +0300

Dear Liz,

> It is Cyrus again in Isaiah 61 tho.
Yeah? How about vs.5,6?

> And it is Cyrus in 42
vs.2,3?

, in 48:14ff, in 49
obviously not in vs.3,4?

> (not in 50, unless he is
> the servant mentioned in 50:10)
So not everywhere?

> Clei are used in Ezra to refer to the vessels from YHWH"s temple.
> They are used in the Mesha inscription to refer to the vessels
> from YHWH's temple in Moab.
Yes, but they are clei vessels, which wouldn't be taken by the occupants,
unless our understanding of the then material culture is way off the mark.

>Their sin becomes
> his responsibility. It's a legal obligation, not a moral one.
In Judaism, the whole concept of mishpat is centered around zedek; remember
the story of the two pillars. No responsibility without guilt. The high
priest actually shares the guilt of his people, not some guiltless
responsibility, like in criobolium (well, possibly even there). They are one
body before the Almighty.

Best regards,

Vadim