b-hebrew - RE: [b-hebrew] Isaiah 53 read within the book as a whole

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Lisbeth S. Fried" <lizfried AT umich.edu>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [b-hebrew] Isaiah 53 read within the book as a whole
  • Date: Sun, 23 May 2004 15:53:24 -0400

> Dear Liz,
>
> > It is Cyrus again in Isaiah 61 tho.
> Yeah? How about vs.5,6?
Dunno.
Cyrus in 61:1-4.

> > And it is Cyrus in 42
> vs.2,3?
Yup, bad translation here tho in the NRSV
Who else could it be?
Who else could establish justice on the earth except
Cyrus?

> , in 48:14ff, in 49
> obviously not in vs.3,4?
I omit "Israel" in 3.

> > (not in 50, unless he is
> > the servant mentioned in 50:10)
> So not everywhere?
Pretty much every where.

> > Clei are used in Ezra to refer to the vessels from YHWH"s temple.
> > They are used in the Mesha inscription to refer to the vessels from
> > YHWH's temple in Moab.
> Yes, but they are clei vessels, which wouldn't be taken by
> the occupants, unless our understanding of the then material
> culture is way off the mark.
Why do you translate clei as clay?
They are usually silver and gold. Check out the uses of the term
in TANAK.

> >Their sin becomes
> > his responsibility. It's a legal obligation, not a moral one.
> In Judaism, the whole concept of mishpat is centered around
> zedek; remember the story of the two pillars. No
> responsibility without guilt. The high priest actually shares
> the guilt of his people, not some guiltless responsibility,
> like in criobolium (well, possibly even there). They are one
> body before the Almighty.
My point exactly. It doesn't matter whether he has actually
sinned or not. He bears the responsibility.
Best,
Liz