b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Bribes, Gifts, and Tribute

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "David Kimbrough (CLWA)" <dkimbrough AT clwa.org>
  • To: 'Yigal Levin' <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>, b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Bribes, Gifts, and Tribute
  • Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 13:48:57 -0700

Yigal,

Yes you are correct that in 1Kings 15:19 King Asa gives all of his silver
and gold to King Benhadad of Syria which Asa calls a "gift" ($oxad). The
gift was to get the King of Syria to do something, attack Israel. However
this is not a bribe however as there nothing illegal or unethical about it.
Gifts of cash were routinely given out in order to obtain military alliance
of one type or another, just as they are today. King Benhadad was
committing no crime, just receiving payment for services rendered. The King
of Israel may not have been happy about this arrangement, and perhaps even
many Judeans weren't either, but that does not equal bribery.

The nearly identical relation is reported in 2Kings 16:8. This time King
Ahaz is giving a gift the King of Assyria to attach the King of Syria. King
Tiglathpileser is good to his word and does so. No bribery, just a Kings
doing their jobs. Bribery would to pay a King NOT to do his job.

David Eugene Kimbrough
Water Quality & Laboratory Supervisor
Castaic Lake Water Agency
27234 Bouquet Canyon Road