b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Bribes, Gifts, and Tribute

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: Karl Randolph <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • Cc: Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Bribes, Gifts, and Tribute
  • Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 07:41:20 -0700

On 17/05/2004 16:19, Karl Randolph wrote:

David:

What is at stake here is not the legality of the action, as we understand it,
rather the action. This is giving something of value to get the recipient to
do something that he normally may not do. In that way, a king can bribe
another king.

An example of a “legal” bribe is in U.S. politics, where a large donation is
given to a politician’s re-election campaign so that the politician will do
certain things that the “donor” wishes.

Another example, closer to the context, is the way in which (allegedly at least) the USA offered financial incentives to other countries to join the attack on Iraq. A bribe? Unethical? That depends on your political viewpoint - and I don't want to get us into a discussion of that! But maybe similar political judgments were being hinted at in the different nuances behind $XD and &KR.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)