b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Re: Bribes, Gifts, and Tribute

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Yigal Levin" <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Re: Bribes, Gifts, and Tribute
  • Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 09:20:00 +0200

David,

I think that the very reason that the writer(s) of these two pericopes used
the word $oxad (in stead of, say "minxah" or "matanah") is exactly because
he wished to emphasize that this was a "pay-off" which was at least morally
not kosher. Notice that the word is not used in any other such situation in
the Tanakh.

Yigal