b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Bribes, Gifts, and Tribute

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: "Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Bribes, Gifts, and Tribute
  • Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 18:19:08 -0500

David:

What is at stake here is not the legality of the action, as we understand it,
rather the action. This is giving something of value to get the recipient to
do something that he normally may not do. In that way, a king can bribe
another king.

An example of a “legal” bribe is in U.S. politics, where a large donation is
given to a politician’s re-election campaign so that the politician will do
certain things that the “donor” wishes.

Usually, however, bribes are recognized as a way to pervert justice.

Karl W. Randolph.