b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Proverbs 17:8

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Reinier de Blois" <rdeblois AT www.biblesocieties.org>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Proverbs 17:8
  • Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 16:22:31 -0400

Good point, but I still feel that there is not enough evidence in the text to
warrant a translation with "charm". The only support I have been able to find
so far is Nahum 3:4 where XEN is somewhat parallel to K$APIYM "sorceries".
But also there a translation with "beauty" is perfectly possible.
In all other cases where XEN is preceded by another noun in the construct
state (at least those I could find) it means "beauty".

Best wishes,

Reinier