b-hebrew - Re: Re: [b-hebrew] Bribes, Gifts, and Tribute

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: <david.kimbrough AT charter.net>
  • To: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>, "Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: Re: [b-hebrew] Bribes, Gifts, and Tribute
  • Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 2:56:55 +0000

Karl,

If I ask a carpenter to build me a house he may not be
inclined to do so. If I offer to pay him he will probably
become so inclined. Similarly if I have a case before a
judge, he may not be inclined to find in my favor. I offer
to pay him; he may well be come so inclined in my favor.
The former is legal and is not considered bribery while the
latter is not and is considered bribery.

In the case of the two kings, in each case, the king of
Judea made payments to some foreign king (Syrian and
Assyrian) to attack his enemy (Israel and Syria). This
sort of arrangement was legal and normal. Notably, the
author of 1 and 2 Kings do not condemn either Ahaz or Asa
for these payments. Indeed why should there be any
condemnation when in each case the payments had the desired
effect, the enemy attacking Judea was defeated Judea was
rescued. Asa?s ?heart was perfect with the LORD all his
days?.

It is only the modern reader who detects something wrong or
immoral in this arrangement, even it is a practice that is
stilled used today. Ancient readers did not detect and
moral problem, especially since it seemed to work quite
well.

> From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
> Date: 2004/05/17 Mon PM 11:19:08 GMT
> To: "Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
> Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Bribes, Gifts, and Tribute
>
> David:
>
> What is at stake here is not the legality of the action,
as we understand it, rather the action. This is giving
something of value to get the recipient to do something
that he normally may not do. In that way, a king can bribe
another king.

> An example of a ?legal? bribe is in U.S. politics, where
a large donation is given to a politician?s re-election
campaign so that the politician will do certain things that
the ?donor? wishes.

> Usually, however, bribes are recognized as a way to
pervert justice.

> Karl W. Randolph.

all of his silver
> > and gold to King Benhadad of Syria which Asa calls a
"gift" ($oxad). The
> > gift was to get the King of Syria to do something,
attack Israel. However
> > this is not a bribe however as there nothing illegal or
unethical about it.
> > Gifts of cash were routinely given out in order to
obtain military alliance
> > of one type or another, just as they are today. King
Benhadad was
> > committing no crime, just receiving payment for
services rendered. The King
> > of Israel may not have been happy about this
arrangement, and perhaps even
> > many Judeans weren't either, but that does not equal
bribery.

> > The nearly identical relation is reported in 2Kings
16:8. This time King
> > Ahaz is giving a gift the King of Assyria to attach the
King of Syria. King
> > Tiglathpileser is good to his word and does so. No
bribery, just a Kings
> > doing their jobs. Bribery would to pay a King NOT to
do his job.