b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Fw: WAYYIQTOL

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Dave Washburn <dwashbur AT nyx.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Fw: WAYYIQTOL
  • Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 08:19:35 -0700

On Thursday 11 March 2004 07:59, furuli AT online.no wrote:

[snip]
> As to what today is called WAYYIQTOL, WEYIQTOL and WEQATAL, they
> carefully followed what they heard in the synagogue as well. Because
> shewa and patah could be pronounced in a similar, or almost similar
> way (as an "a" sound), the pronunciation of the first syllable of all
> three forms could have been the same, or almost the same.

Since the rest of Rolf's argument is based on this statement, I would have
expected some defense of this claim. But I don't see any. In fact, their
careful use of patah, hatef-patah and shewa suggests that there were
distinguishable differences in pronunciation among the three. If this is the
case, as it seems to be, it negates the rest of the argument.

--
Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur