b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Fw: WAYYIQTOL

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: furuli AT online.no
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Fw: WAYYIQTOL
  • Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 07:43:11 -0800

On 11/03/2004 06:59, furuli AT online.no wrote:

As to what today is called WAYYIQTOL, WEYIQTOL and WEQATAL, they carefully followed what they heard in the synagogue as well. Because shewa and patah could be pronounced in a similar, or almost similar way (as an "a" sound), the pronunciation of the first syllable of all three forms could have been the same, or almost the same. But the stress may have been different, because narrative accounts probably would be read in a different way than future and modal accounts. The Masoretes had at their disposition shewa and patah, which were pronounced similarly. ...

Perhaps we can agree that the Masoretes did hear and faithfully record a slight distinction between WAYYIQTOL and WEYIQTOL, maybe a distinction of rhythm more than of vowel quality. Patah, a full vowel, in a syllable closed by dagesh forte is likely to be significantly longer than the half-vowel sheva, and it can carry the secondary stress (which is quite often marked by meteg under the vav). I wonder if experts on metrical phonology could tell us whether this distinction is in fact significant. The question of the origin of this distinction is a separate one, but I don't think it was the Masoretes' invention.

... But in time, grammarians read into the Masoretic pointing something that was not intended by the Masoretes themselves, ...

I accept "not intended" in the sense that the Masoretes had no specific intentions concerning grammar. It wasn't that they intended something else at the grammar level. They had no more grammatical intentions than a tape recorder.

... and the four-component model was born. So these later grammarians are the real inventors of the new grammatical theories that Hebrew has four conjugations, ...

The later grammarians did not invent the data, which came via the Masoretes from the oral tradition. Their theories are well founded on a good body of data, although it is of course right to review their theories as you have done.

while the Masoretes were the ones who invented the graphical difference between verbs, ...

No, they converted an oral difference into a graphical difference.

... which made it logical to distinguish between four, or rather five (WEYIQTOL as well) groups of verbs.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)