b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Fw: WAYYIQTOL

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "George Athas" <gathas AT hotkey.net.au>
  • To: "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Fw: WAYYIQTOL
  • Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 17:09:58 +1100

I concur with the possibility of the thesis that the Masoretes invented the
difference between conventional waw /we-/ and consecutive waw /wa-/. I'm not
sure of its veracity, but it is certainly plausible.

The reason for the possibility stems from the necessary difference between
Imperfect Yiqtol and the Preterite Yiqtol -- a point that cannot be made
more strongly. The distinction between these two verb types is seen
primarily in those weak roots which appear shorter in the Preterite than in
the Imperfect (eg, III-Heh roots). The traditional understanding of the
Wayyiqtol as essentially an 'inverted Imperfect' (or a conversive) is
erroneous and unhelpful for exegesis and interpretation. It presents a
treacherous 'shortcut' for young players.

I'm steadily coming to the realisation that the Masoretes at least
misunderstood key verbal Hebrew forms, even if they did not invent new
verbal categories. I think they certainly misunderstood cohortative verbs as
well.

Best regards,

GEORGE ATHAS
Lecturer in Biblical Languages