b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Fw: WAYYIQTOL

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Uri Hurwitz <uhurwitz AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Karl Randolph <kwrandolph AT email.com>, Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Fw: WAYYIQTOL
  • Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 13:54:28 -0800 (PST)

Karl Randolph <kwrandolph AT email.com> wrote, inter alia:

"Was Arabic widely known in Judea and Samaria
during the Second Temple era? As far as I
know, not."

A similarity in use of verbs in BH and Arabic simply means that such
verbal functions are not unique to Biblical Hebrew. One is hard put to
understand the various gramatical features of BH without referring to 'proto
Semitic' (preserved in classical Arabic), such as the appearance of "T" in
the construct and declensions of F.S. and so forth.

The discussion of the duration of Hebrew as a spoken language has to
take into account Mishnaic Hebrew, or LH. This language thrived for centuries
and cannot be explained away simply as pure invention by the scholars of the
time without any grounding in daily life use.

As for the peculiar phrase "fossil language" which Karl applies to BH,
in view of all the works written specifically in this language, to the
present day, one can only paraphrase Churchill's words: "Some fossil! Some
language!"

Uri