b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Fw: WAYYIQTOL

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: George Athas <gathas AT hotkey.net.au>
  • Cc: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Fw: WAYYIQTOL
  • Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 05:03:56 -0800

On 12/03/2004 04:40, George Athas wrote:

Hi Peter (and others)!

I am arguing for two distinct verb forms -- that is, a differentiation
between the verbal element of WAYYIQTOL forms (wayYIQTOL), and the pure
Imperfect YIQTOL. I believe there to be a distinct aspectual difference
between the two. ...

Thank you, George. I partly misunderstood you before, but I can agree with almost all of what you write here. But it would still surprise me if the Masoretes reinvented a lost pronunciation distinction (basing their choice on grammatical rather than phonetic criteria), although you consider this plausible. There are many other places where they could have done similarly but did not, leaving semantically very different forms graphically identical. I would think it much more likely that the Masoretes recorded a subtle pronunciation distinction which they heard.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)