b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Fw: WAYYIQTOL

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Dave Washburn <dwashbur AT nyx.net>
  • To: "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Fw: WAYYIQTOL
  • Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 17:53:13 -0700

On Friday 12 March 2004 05:40, George Athas wrote:
> Hi Peter (and others)!
>
> I am arguing for two distinct verb forms -- that is, a differentiation
> between the verbal element of WAYYIQTOL forms (wayYIQTOL), and the pure
> Imperfect YIQTOL. I believe there to be a distinct aspectual difference
> between the two. This is *not* based on an understanding that WAYYIQTOL is
> really a YIQTOL with a waw that inverts the tense. I think that is an
> erroneous view. I understand the Preterite, which stands behind WAYYIQTOL
> forms, to have had a different aspect to the Imperfect YIQTOL. As such,
> this removes the need to see the waw consecutive as a necessarily distinct
> type of waw.
[snip]

George,
I'm not sure I follow you here. If it's not a "distinct type of waw" then
how
does it alter the aspect of the verb? Also, how do you go about identifying
the verb element as either a preterite or a "pure imperfect YIQTOL"? And I
don't see WeYIQTOL described; how does it fit into this schema? Please
develop the idea further...

Thanks!

--
Dave Washburn