b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew transliteration

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Polycarp66 AT aol.com
  • To: kwrandolph AT email.com, b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew transliteration
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 22:38:02 EST

In a message dated 1/20/2004 10:22:24 PM Eastern Standard Time,
kwrandolph AT email.com writes:

> Whether I like it or not, unicode is on the way to be the new standard. I
> see no reason to develop a new transliteration scheme.
>
> My main computer is a 486 vintage Macintosh running OS 8.1 because it is a
> notebook and at my side when I need it. But it is not unicode capable. It
> is
> no longer a question of if, but when I can afford to upgrade. If I am to
> continue the sort of research and work that I do, it will have to be in
> unicode,
> and communicated in unicode so that all can understand it. I am working not
> only in Hebrew, but also Chinese and other non-Latin based writing systems.
>
> Already, when I see some complex transliteration scheme in my mailbox that
> do not understand, I follow the Tanakh reference and open my Bible program
> to read it in the Hebrew font which I understand, whereas I often don’t
> understand the transliteration. It is only a matter of time before B-Hebrew
> mailing
> list will be in unicode (unicode long ago was already able to handle
> unpointed text like which I prefer).
>
> As for file formats, when I want to make sure that all my readers can open
> it, I send it as a .pdf attachment. At this time it looks as if it is
> easier
> to fix what remains of unicode than to develop a new transliteration scheme
> used world-wide.

_________

Hear, hear!

Who cares about transliteration schemes. It's only a stop-gap measure. When
I see a discussion on b-hebrew I open my BHS and check to see that we're
talking about the same passage. Then I ignore the transliteration. I do the
same
in b-greek. That's why I am rather impatient with this discussion. It's
much ado about nothing.

gfsomsel