b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew transliteration

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: "Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew transliteration
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 22:15:12 -0500

Dear Trevor:

Whether I like it or not, unicode is on the way to be the new standard. I see
no reason to develop a new transliteration scheme.

My main computer is a 486 vintage Macintosh running OS 8.1 because it is a
notebook and at my side when I need it. But it is not unicode capable. It is
no longer a question of if, but when I can afford to upgrade. If I am to
continue the sort of research and work that I do, it will have to be in
unicode, and communicated in unicode so that all can understand it. I am
working not only in Hebrew, but also Chinese and other non-Latin based
writing systems.

Already, when I see some complex transliteration scheme in my mailbox that I
do not understand, I follow the Tanakh reference and open my Bible program to
read it in the Hebrew font which I understand, whereas I often don’t
understand the transliteration. It is only a matter of time before B-Hebrew
mailing list will be in unicode (unicode long ago was already able to handle
unpointed text like which I prefer).

As for file formats, when I want to make sure that all my readers can open
it, I send it as a .pdf attachment. At this time it looks as if it is easier
to fix what remains of unicode than to develop a new transliteration scheme
used world-wide.

Karl W. Randolph.