b-hebrew - RE: [b-hebrew] Hebrew transliteration

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Trevor Peterson" <06peterson AT cua.edu>
  • To: "'B-Hebrew'" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [b-hebrew] Hebrew transliteration
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 18:00:42 -0500

Jason wrote:

> I think that usage is really what it's about.

This is like saying a theory is no more than data. Usage in language is
what people do. It says nothing about why they do it. "Just because"
might be an answer, but it doesn't say anything. The whole study of
language change is intended to explain not only what language does but
how it gets there.

[snipped]

> Is it not possible that usage was what even makes
> us today shift from longer to shorter forms? I think that
> colloquialisms pulled great weight in ancient language and do
> even today.

Of course they do. But how do they get there? Again, if we're not
concerned about making sense of any of this stuff, there's no point
discussing it.

Trevor Peterson
CUA/Semitics