b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew transliteration

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: Trevor Peterson <06peterson AT cua.edu>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew transliteration
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 02:52:56 -0800

On 21/01/2004 02:41, Trevor Peterson wrote:

... I might personally disagree, but I think there is something to his
argument, that a user can sometimes benefit to a certain degree from seeing
Ethiopic evidence in transliteration without knowing Ethiopic. But my point
here is that there are many situations where it still makes the most sense to
transliterate. ...

Trevor, now it is you confusing different things. I might think that in a particular work for a particular audience it is better to transliterate. But such things should be the editors' decision. They should not be forced to transliterate because technology does not support mixed scripts. If they are, computer technology is taking us backwards from the multi-script support which worked in the hot metal era e.g. in BDB.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)