b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew transliteration

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: Trevor Peterson <06peterson AT cua.edu>
  • Cc: 'B-Hebrew' <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew transliteration
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 14:01:40 -0800

On 19/01/2004 13:39, Trevor Peterson wrote:

All this half-lengthening stuff sounds like 19th century German over-classification (and it does come from Gesenius).

Actually, it's from Jouon. Maybe he got some of the idea from Gesenius,
but I'd hesitate to say that he just bought into someone else's idea.
Jouon had his own ideas (not always rightly, IMO). ...

I realised you had quoted Joüon (surely you can manage his diaresis?), but I found something rather similar in GKC 20m and 22c.

... Regardless of where
it comes from, I think the argument stands that there ought to be some
explanation for why the dagesh could drop out and leave a short vowel in
an apparently open syllable. ...

To me, the obvious answer is that the sheva loses its sound in this environment and so the syllable remains closed without the dagesh. No need for speculation about half doubling or virtual strengthening. The problem with that is only the implication that HAL:LW. is pronounced hallu. In favour of Joüon and GKC is the odd fact that het, he and `ayin can close a syllable and open a new one without taking dagesh.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)