b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew transliteration

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Jason Hare" <jason AT hareplay.com>
  • To: "B-Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew transliteration
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 13:45:35 -0600

Peter,

There does not have to be a dagesh in the first lamed because of the VOCAL
SH'VA underneath it. Remember that the letters $&CSQNMLWY do not /have/ to
carry a dagesh when they have a vocal sh'va under them (reference page 107
of Weingreen's grammar, note N.B. (1) at the top of the page: "The Dagesh
Forte which is characteristic in the 2nd root-letter is sometimes absent in
certain forms. The second example B.iQ."$ happens to be one of these verbs,
when the medial root-letter Q is vowelless, i.e. when it has a shewa: the
3rd pl. Perf. B.iQ.:$W. is found as B.iQ:$W. [with a rafe above the Q], the
doubling of the medial root-letter having been ommitted for euphony...."

My point is that, when I was in first-year Hebrew we had a term for it:
skinemleviy. That was to help us remember which letters they were. In Seow's
grammar (ref. below), it is section VI.7 "Loss of the Strong Dagesh." It
reads thus:

"The consonants W, Y, L, M, N, and Q, and the sibilants (S, C, &, and $)
frequently lose the strong /dagesh/ when they are followed by a /shewa/. The
precise rules for retaining or omitting the /dagesh/ need not concern us
now; at this stage one needs only to know that the /dagesh/ may disappear."

Thus, I still think that HLLWYH is a piel with the loss of the dagesh forte
in the second radical. And I see no reason for a belief that this has a
k'tiv/q'rei. I have never read that anywhere, so I think this was an indeed
unfounded... IMO.

Shalom,
Jason Hare