b-hebrew - RE: [b-hebrew] Hebrew transliteration

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Trevor Peterson" <06peterson AT cua.edu>
  • To: "'Biblical Hebrew'" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [b-hebrew] Hebrew transliteration
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 10:14:19 -0500

Peter wrote:

> How about a dot above, U+0307? This has the advantage of fitting
> reasonably well with every upper case base consonant, as it can go
> beside the ascenders of b, d etc, and you don't need it on i
> or j, or f,
> where there might be a problem. See for example the reference
> glyphs in
> http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U1E00.pdf, which has most of the
> combinations needed precomposed, even dots above s acute and s caron
> (1E65/1E67). The only remaining problem case is l (small L) with dot
> above; for this you could substitute l with middle dot, 0140.

I guess great minds think alike :-) After I wrote my last post, I
started looking at available diacritics and decided that a dot above
might be the best option. It's not exactly intuitive, although if a
person familiar with Tiberian Hebrew sat and looked at it long enough,
it should be readily decipherable. Combined with the dotted emphatics,
it can make a text look kind of dotty, but some might say that's
appropriate for transcribing a Semitic language. I'd still be interested
in other suggestions, but I think it might be a workable solution for
now.

Thanks,
Trevor Peterson
CUA/Semitics