b-hebrew - RE: [b-hebrew] Hebrew transliteration

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Trevor Peterson" <06peterson AT cua.edu>
  • To: "'B-Hebrew'" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [b-hebrew] Hebrew transliteration
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 15:26:14 -0500

Peter wrote:

> But the question remains, is the remaining sheva silent or voiced? I
> always assumed that in forms like B.IQ:$W. the sheva was
> silent, and the
> dagesh was dropped to correspond to this lack of
> vocalisation.

According to the usual rules, the shva following a lengthened consonant
could not be silent. Jouon suggests that the dagesh was dropped because
even a vocal shva was too weak to sustain a full lengthening of the
preceding consonant.

> If it is
> voiced, how can I decide whether sheva is voiced or not in
> any word of
> this pattern?

You would have to know whether the consonant should be lengthened. If
it's a verbal inflection, you would know based on parsing. Even if it's
not, you could generally tell by the preceding vowel.

Trevor Peterson
CUA/Semitics