b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew transliteration

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: Jason Hare <jason AT hareplay.com>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew transliteration
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 15:53:01 -0800

On 20/01/2004 12:55, Jason Hare wrote:

I just opened my siddur (Siddur Qol Ya'akov -- Artscroll) and found the
first appearance of the Rafe over a letter. Its first appearance is on page
2 in the beginning of the atifat talit (donning of the tallis).

"Bar'chi nafshi et haShem, haShem elokai gadalta me'od, hod v'hadar
lavashta. Oter or casalmah, noteh shamayim kayriah."

The rafe appears over the resh of "bar'chi" to indicate that it is NOT
borchi (with a closed first syllable and a silent shva). What it represents
is that we have bar'chi (long vowel kamets, with a vocal shva and aspirated
kaf).

This is a quote from Psalm 104:1-2. It is interesting that in BHS there is a hataf patah in place of the sheva here (also in 103:1,2) which has the same disambiguating effect. But no rafe. In the L codex there is also no rafe on the resh (although there is rafe on the kaf according to normal practice), but interestingly enough there is a simple sheva in 103:2, and in 103:1 and 104:1 it looks like there is a simple sheva and also, quite separately and a little higher up so just inside the body of the resh, a horizontal line which looks like patah or rafe, and which also looks a bit like an afterthought. Is this perhaps not really a hataf patah but some other mark?

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)