b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew transliteration

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: Jason Hare <jason AT hareplay.com>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew transliteration
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 12:02:50 -0800

On 19/01/2004 11:45, Jason Hare wrote:

Peter,

There does not have to be a dagesh in the first lamed because of the VOCAL
SH'VA underneath it. Remember that the letters $&CSQNMLWY do not /have/ to
carry a dagesh when they have a vocal sh'va under them (reference page 107
of Weingreen's grammar, note N.B. (1) at the top of the page: "The Dagesh
Forte which is characteristic in the 2nd root-letter is sometimes absent in
certain forms. The second example B.iQ."$ happens to be one of these verbs,
when the medial root-letter Q is vowelless, i.e. when it has a shewa: the
3rd pl. Perf. B.iQ.:$W. is found as B.iQ:$W. [with a rafe above the Q], the
doubling of the medial root-letter having been ommitted for euphony...."

Thank you, Jason. I had not seen this rule so explicitly. You are probably right.

But the question remains, is the remaining sheva silent or voiced? I always assumed that in forms like B.IQ:$W. the sheva was silent, and the dagesh was dropped to correspond to this lack of vocalisation. If it is voiced, how can I decide whether sheva is voiced or not in any word of this pattern? If it is silent, does that imply that the sheva in HAL:LW. is also silent, which would surely imply that the word is pronounced with just one long L sound?

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)