b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew transliteration

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: Trevor Peterson <06peterson AT cua.edu>
  • Cc: 'Biblical Hebrew' <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew transliteration
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 06:32:47 -0800

On 19/01/2004 06:04, Trevor Peterson wrote:

Peter wrote:

And so for the Masoretic pronunciation perhaps we have some kind of perpetual Qere, with the pronunciation as if there is one lengthened lamed; so we would have unchanged Ketiv HLLW YH but Qere HAL.W. YAH.

This seems like a stretch to me. Wouldn't we expect rather to see no
nikkud on one or the other lamed? I seem to remember seeing this in
comparable situations, ...

Yes, you are probably right. The comparable situation you may have seen is the extra unpointed shin in Issachar.

I'm also not crazy about using boldface to indicate consonantal
lengthening. The problem is that I can't think of an attractive
alternative. I did consider using caps, but I hate to do that, both for
the ugly appearance and for the possible confusion with other systems
that use caps to indicate emphatic consonants (a system that I like,
BTW, for ASCII environments). If anyone has any suggestions, I'd
appreciate it. ...

How about a dot above, U+0307? This has the advantage of fitting reasonably well with every upper case base consonant, as it can go beside the ascenders of b, d etc, and you don't need it on i or j, or f, where there might be a problem. See for example the reference glyphs in http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U1E00.pdf, which has most of the combinations needed precomposed, even dots above s acute and s caron (1E65/1E67). The only remaining problem case is l (small L) with dot above; for this you could substitute l with middle dot, 0140.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)