b-hebrew - RE: [b-hebrew] Variants of YHWH in the BHS Text

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Liz Fried" <lizfried AT umich.edu>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [b-hebrew] Variants of YHWH in the BHS Text
  • Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 13:56:36 -0400

> Liz et al.
>
> The issue with trying to pronounce "the name" is the same as it always has
> been. Each and every letter in it has weakness. Therefore the
> vowel pattern
> would take on some changes based on each letter in "the name".
>
> Perhaps I misunderstood Charles' comment ... But the Jews [at least Moses
> and others with whom God spoke directly with the "thus saith the ..."
> comments knew the proper pronunciation. [ wouldn't you think?]
Absolutely. According to the text, David would swear "as YHWH lives"
all the time, pronouncing the name.

> Liz doesn't it depend on which tradition of pronunciation you listen to as
> to whether the waw is pronounced with a w or v sound?
Not if you're trying to get at the pronounciation of the ancient text.
According to my teacher, Charles Krahmolkov, the vov is a Germanization
of the wow.

Another way to get at the pronounciation may be through the theophorics at
the end of names, e.g. Eliyahu. My god is Yahu, which makes me think
that this is how it was pronounced. YHW is the name of the Jewish
god at Elephantine. The heh at the end may just be to lenghthen the last
vowel.
Yahuu.
Best
Liz