b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Variants of YHWH in the BHS Text

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: David P Donnelly <davedonnelly1 AT juno.com>
  • To: peterkirk AT qaya.org
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Variants of YHWH in the BHS Text
  • Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 19:18:22 -0400

Peter Kirk says:

It is highly improbable that L has been tampered with in any systematic
way.
Why would you suggest that?
Remember that there are a number of other MSS of comparable date which
usually read the same.

Dave says:

Maybe I should ask the question in a different manner.

The Ben Chayyim Hebrew text preserves the Tetragrammaton in the Hebrew
Word #3068 form,
[yod-simple shewa-he-holem-vav-qamets-he]
over 6000 times.

You mentioned previously that this Hebrew word #3068 form was only found
44 times in the BHS.

http://www.iclnet.org/pub/resources/software/mac/online.bible/BHS-BHM.Rea
d_Me.txt
The following information was found at the link above,
under the heading below:
INTRODUCTION TO THE HEBREW BIBLE PROPER

Because of the presence or absence of the so-called "vowel letters"
(consonants used to indicate vowels)
in unpointed MSS, however,
the consonantal Hebrew text as found in the Masoretic manuscripts
splits into two unique but complementary traditions:
that of Ben Asher (circa centuries 9-10 CE)
and that of Ben Chayyim (circa centuries 13-14 CE).

Peter,

Could you help me to understand how Ben Chayyim ends up creating a Hebrew
Text
in which the Tetragrammaton is found over 6000 times,
in the Hebrew word #3068 form.

Are there any extant M.T.'s between 1010 A.D. and 1525 A.D.
in which the Tetragrammaton is preserved over 6000 times in the Hebrew
word #3068 form?

Peter,

You mentioned:

But it seems clear that by the time that the Aleppo codex was written,
some time before L,
the traditional way of writing the divine name was already more or less
fixed
and has not been changed since.

Certainly Ben Chayyim has changed the writing of the divine name.
Did Ben Chayyim corrupt the Hebrew Text?

Dave Donnelly

Dave