b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Variants of YHWH in the BHS Text

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: David P Donnelly <davedonnelly1 AT juno.com>
  • To: cisbell AT cox.net
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Variants of YHWH in the BHS Text
  • Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 11:35:27 -0400

Charles David Isbell says:

I am aware that some on this list need to believe fervently that the
sacred name of God
is to be pronounced Jehovah.

I have two responses.
[1] Knock yourself out.
You have my blessing to pronounce the name of your deity any way you
wish.
[2] Kindly stop trying to speak for "the Jewish people."
We have NEVER used that pronunciation,
and it was not a Jew who made the childish error of reading Ktiv
consonants with Qere vowels.

Dave says:

In my particulat situation,
I am trying to understand the "it is written" form of God's Hebrew name,
as it is preserved in the Ben Chayyim Hebrew text.

I realize that Masoretic texts disagree with other Masoretic texts,
but the Old Testament of the English Bible that I use,
[e.g. the KJV]
is translated from the Ben Chayyim Hebrew text.

Yehovah
[yod-shewa-he-holem-vav-qamets-he]
is a Hebrew form of God's name
that is preserved in both the Ben Chayyim Hebrew text,
and in the Leningrad Codex..

It appears to be a Hebrew form,
that is pronounceable.

It is pronounced "Yehovah" in Hebrew.

Thus to be redundant,
I am trying to understand the "it is written" form of God's Hebrew name,
[e.g. Yehovah]
as it is preserved in the Ben Chayyim Hebrew text over 6000 times,
and as it is preserved in the Leningrad Codex 44 times.

I am aware that many sources do not believe that
this "it is written" form of God's Hebrew name,
[e.g. Yehovah]
was meant to be pronounced.

Dave Donnelly