b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Variants of YHWH in the BHS Text

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Jason Hare" <jason AT hareplay.com>
  • To: "B-Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Variants of YHWH in the BHS Text
  • Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 13:43:58 -0500

David,

I think it might be wise for you to understand from the beginning the
purpose and scope of B-Hebrew. This is a forum for discussion of the text of
the Hebrew Bible (HB). We have participants from all different perspectives:
Jews, Christians, Atheists, Faith-Disinterested, and many others. We have
discussed the Tetragrammaton on several occasions (which you can search out
in our archives). We are, as a group, not interested in propagation of
theological perspectives. We discuss the text based on Hebrew from an
educated perspective.

Please, do not think that you have come here with something new. We are
weathered in respect to the Hebrew Bible. We have heard most all arguments
that you could present. And we all have our own perspectives. However, you
will surely find no support for the idea that "Yehovah" or "Jehovah" or
"Yahweh" or whatever name you choose to be "God's" is absolute without
contestation. If your interest is to find support for a "Sacred Name"
position, you will surely not find it here (or in any decent scholarly
work).

As far as your personal beliefs go, I have to agree with Charles: "Knock
yourself out." If you want to believe in "sacred knowledge" propaganda, go
for it. However, if you gather a deeper knowledge of the HB and of the
morphology/structure of the Hebrew language, you will surely not hold such
silly positions any longer. That's my hope for you--that you will get beyond
yourself in your study of such a great subject as Hebrew.

Best regards,
Jason Hare