b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Variants of YHWH in the BHS Text

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Variants of YHWH in the BHS Text
  • Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2003 14:22:39 -0700

On 27/09/2003 13:42, Dave Washburn wrote:

... I have a friend named John; if he moved to Mexico he would probably be called Juan, while if he moved to Russia he'd be called Ivan. ...

Not true, actually. I know of several Americans and Brits called John who have lived in Russia and other Russian speaking countries. They are never called Ivan. No one ever tried to call me Pyotr. It is not a Russian custom to Russianise names of foreign men, though oddly they do tend to do it with women's names which are similar to common Russian ones e.g. Cathy becomes Katya.

... Same name, varying pronunciation, no loss of referent. Your comment that you have been "influenced" by the sacred-name movement says a lot, and I don't mind being the first to tell you that you have been persuaded to major on something very, very minor. If I may be forgiven for waxing theological for a moment, God doesn't care what you call Him; all He cares is that He hears from you once in a while! ;-)

Agreed!

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)