b-hebrew - RE: [b-hebrew] Variants of YHWH in the BHS Text

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Philip" <phil-eng AT ighmail.com>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [b-hebrew] Variants of YHWH in the BHS Text
  • Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2003 22:12:19 -0000

I think it good to attempt to discover the 'correct' pronounciation of the
tetragrammaton, whatever the 'correct' pronounciation is;

I however think that God would not be too offended if we got is
less-than-correct.

There has been a whole lot of literature, study, debates etc. over the
years, decades, centuries about the correct pronounciation of the
tetragrammaton:

IN simple terms, if the tetragrammaton is supposed to be the third person
singular of the Hebrew verb 'to be' i.e. HWH, then the pointing of YHWH
should be fairly obvious and hence the pronounciation.

Philip Engmann.