b-hebrew - RE: [b-hebrew] qetseph in 2Ki 3:27

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yigal Levin <Yigal-Levin AT utc.edu>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [b-hebrew] qetseph in 2Ki 3:27
  • Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2003 15:41:31 -0400

Liz,

Where else in the Hebrew Bible, and especially in the DH, do you see a
foreign deity "defeating" Yahweh? Whenever Israel is defeated, it's because
they have sinned and the enemy is serving as Yahweh's tool. Which is
exactly why later exegetes tried to find a sin that Israel would have been
guilty of, only in this story none is specified. That's why I don't
understand the story.

By the way, the Moabite god is Cheomosh. Milchom, a.k.a. Molech, is Ammonite.

As for Dave's suggestion, I just don't see it in the text. Besides, I find
it hard to picture any ancient soldiers as being so faint-hearted.

Yigal