b-hebrew - RE: [b-hebrew] qetseph in 2Ki 3:27

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yigal Levin <Yigal-Levin AT utc.edu>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [b-hebrew] qetseph in 2Ki 3:27
  • Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2003 10:18:38 -0400

Hi Liz (and all),

Of course, it's not your world-view (on anyone else's) that's in question.
We're all just trying to understand the author's world-view. What "bothers"
me (at least on this level) is not the "unfairness", but how this story, of
what seems to be Chemosh's wrath effecting the Israelites, would have been
understood by the author of Kings. I have no idea what "really" happened.
Assuming that any of this is historical, the "facts" are that the Moabites
were in defeat, the king of Moab (Mesha? Notice that he's not named in the
whole story, beyong the introduction in verse 4. Could this be a
composite?) sacrificed his son in plain sight, and the Israelites
retreated. Is the "Qetseph" something THEY felt? Or the author's attempt to
explain their sudden retreat? In any case, I still don't understand how the
biblical author (Deuteronomist?) understood what happened. I don't think
he's admitting to a divine agent that is INDEPENDANT of Yahweh. In any
case, he does not SAY that the Qetseph came from Chemosh.

Yigal