b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] qetseph in 2Ki 3:27

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] qetseph in 2Ki 3:27
  • Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2003 20:36:10 -0500

Dear David:

First it seems to me that the phrase in question is QCP (L and not (L Y$R)L

The phrase QCP (L where QCP is a noun appears eight times in Tenakh: Numbers
1:53, 18:5, Joshua 9:20, Isaiah 34:2, Hosea 10:7, 1 Chronicles 20:24 and 2
Chronicles 24:20, 29:8.

My dictionary says that QCP means “anger with a desire for vengeance” as
compared with )P generalized anger, XMH “anger, as a poisonous feeling that
leads to cruelty”, XRH “anger, in the sense of burning, heat of emotion”.

Thinking through my fingers, it appears that the phrase, either as a verbal
phrase or as a noun phrase, has not only the meaning of anger, but includes
also the idea of being disgusted with. Thus in 2 Kings 3:27 I understood the
phrase to indicate that not only were the people angered at the barbarity of
King Mesha sacraficing his son, but they turned away in disgust from having
to face it.

By the way, I am running an older OS that the latest version of Netscape will
not run on, namely Macintosh 9.1. As much as I like the Macintosh, it looks
as if I will turn to Linux, but not yet. Most of my work is still on an older
Macintosh, a 68K one running OS 8.1. Thus I am still depending on the
transliterations as found on http://ibiblio.org/bhebrew/ .

Karl W. Randolph.