b-hebrew - Re: FW: [b-hebrew] qetseph in 2Ki 3:27

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Kirk Lowery <klowery AT wts.edu>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: FW: [b-hebrew] qetseph in 2Ki 3:27
  • Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2003 12:48:26 -0400

Jonathan D. Safren wrote:
Gentlemen, please!
Hebrew font has its uses and transliteration has its uses. I use both in my
work, depending upon the circumstances.
It will be very useful for members of this list to download a browser which
can read Hebrew letters. That doesn't mean that every communication need use
Hebrew letters. Or the opposite.
Indeed, however, list rules should be modified so as to allow BOTH Hebrew
fonts and trasliteration.

At the risk of over-emphasizing this issue, let me reiterate: there is *no* prohibition of using non-ascii font encodings on b-hebrew! The transliteration scheme used for so many years here (and all of its variants) came into use because until very recently there was no other practical alternative for communication.

The reason for using transliteration is so that *everyone* may participate in the discussion. We do not want to marginalize anyone simply because they don't control their computing environment. Not everyone has the ability to upgrade to the most modern software because their machines are controled by IT departments of educational institutions and corporations. Others are hampered by poor bandwidth or very old hardware. We are a global list, and must consider the level of technology everywhere.

Feel free to include Unicode (or other encodings) of Hebrew characters. Just be sure to include transliterations, too, so that all may read, understand and respond. It will increase the number who may respond and is simple courtesy. (Which is what the original poster did, to his credit.)

I will consult with the other moderators about a roadmap and timeline for change. If you have opinions or suggestions for that transition, please email any of us off-list.

Blessings,

Kirk
B-Hebrew co-chair
--
Kirk E. Lowery, Ph.D.
Director, Westminster Hebrew Institute

Theorie ist, wenn man alles weiss und nichts klappt.
Praxis ist, wenn alles klappt und keiner weiss warum.
Bei uns sind Theorie und Praxis vereint:
nichts klappt und keiner weiss warum!