b-hebrew - Re: FW: [b-hebrew] qetseph in 2Ki 3:27

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peter.r.kirk AT ntlworld.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: FW: [b-hebrew] qetseph in 2Ki 3:27
  • Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2003 10:59:41 -0700

On 01/07/2003 10:35, Jim West wrote:

At 10:28 AM 7/1/03 -0700, you wrote:

Jim, David carefully added transliterations for the sake of those of you still using stone age browsers which don't support the very language which you have an interest in, Hebrew.

wow! pretty sharp vitriol for a simple request (which in any event is
required by the list protocol!). So, if I dont use a new browser my
interest in Hebrew is not up to snuff? Is that really what you want to
suggest???

Or if you want to join the modern world you can upgrade for free to Netscape 7.1 (released yesterday, ftp://ftp.netscape.com/pub/netscape7/english/7.1) or Outlook Express 6 (or 5 if you prefer) and then you will be able to read David's message fine.

Again, wow! But I dont want netscape. I want transliteration as required
by all who subscribe to the list - unless the owners changed the rules and
didnt tell me.

Best

Jim

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Jim West
Quartz Hill School of Theology
Adjunct Professor of Biblical Studies

Biblical Studies Resources
http://web.infoave.net/~jwest

Jim, all I am suggesting is that you should get the right tools for the job you want to do. If you want to cut a plank of wood, you get a saw and don't try to do it with a penknife, or a stone axe to continue my earlier analogy. If you want to discuss Hebrew on the Internet, you should get the tools (which are free!) which allow you to do so efficiently and properly. If the list rules say otherwise, in my opinion they should be changed, though not of course without adequate discussion and notice.

Meanwhile, David did provide the transliteration according to the current list rules, though admittedly not technically using the official transliteration format.

--
Peter Kirk
peter.r.kirk AT ntlworld.com