b-hebrew - RE: [b-hebrew] qetseph in 2Ki 3:27

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Liz Fried" <lizfried AT umich.edu>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [b-hebrew] qetseph in 2Ki 3:27
  • Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2003 11:18:42 -0400

Dear Yigal, et. al.
I do think the author, the Deuteronomist, believes there are other powers
out there which act independent of YHWH, as much as he will not rationally
admit it. (I was a psychologist in my first life.) I do not think it's
possible to
remain totally immune from the beliefs of the people around you.
The scenes with Hezekiah and Sennacherib suggest that the issue of only
one god in control of the entire world is not completely certain in the mind
of the author. I place the Deuteronomist in the period of Zerubbabel, so
that
in the scene with Hezekiah it may be that the author is arguing with his
contempories about this very issue. The proof that YHWH is in control is
the restablishment of JErusalem in his own day, and its being saved in
the days of Hezekiah. I don't think it's a closed issue for him. If it was,
he
would not have need to write the book.
Liz
ps. It may be that that author had as much difficulty with this
as does the modern reader, and so left it oblique.