b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] When did Hebrew cease to be a commonly spoken language?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Michael Abernathy" <mabernathy AT isot.com>
  • To: "B-Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] When did Hebrew cease to be a commonly spoken language?
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2003 09:48:15 -0500

Liz commented on the fact that the papyri from Elephantine were written in
Aramaic. This is relevent evidence for what was happening outside of Israel.
One question that must be raised is, "Did the Jews in Israel and the Jews in
foreign lands continue to speak the same language?" There is some evidence
that Aramaic was used as a trade language outside of Judah and eventually
adopted by the Jews while the Jews in the Holy Land continued to use Hebrew
as their primary language. For example, you will find that most of what was
written in Israel in the first century was in Hebrew. You can also find
references in the Talmud to Jews in Jerusalem seeking a translator because
someone asked a question in Aramaic. On the other hand, I remember a
reference to a Jew outside of Israel asking his maid to explain what the
Hebrew in a passage meant.
Sincerely,
Michael Abernathy