b-hebrew - RE: [b-hebrew] When did Hebrew cease to be a commonly spoken language?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Schmuel <schmuel AT escape.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: RE: [b-hebrew] When did Hebrew cease to be a commonly spoken language?
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2003 13:58:05 -0400

Hi b-hebrew,

Ken Penner wrote:
>I'd also like to see evidence for both sides: Hebrew dying out and Hebrew
>remaining an everyday spoken language.
>I recently delivered a paper to the Canadian Society of Biblical Studies on
>the question of whether the Greek words Hebrais/Hebraisti refer to Hebrew or
>Aramaic, and necessarily had to touch on the likelihood of Hebrew surviving
>as a spoken language.

Schmuel
Can the Greek word also refer to both ? ie. the family of semitic
languages...
ie .. does it have to be an either/or proposition ?

Is your paper, or a summary, available ?

There has been a lot of stuff said on this issue over on another forum, often
with
little scholarly backup, sometimes with hot air, and it would be nice to see
scholarly summary, including the NT usage, and the Josephus usage, and
whatever
else you have found :-)

>I'd be interested to hear how put it all together:
>
>Why are parts of Ezra and Daniel in Aramaic?
>Why and when did the Targumim appear?
>Why are there more Second Temple Aramaic inscriptions than Hebrew?
>Why is so much early Second Temple religious literature in Aramaic (the
>several parts of Enoch, Tobit, Genesis Apocryphon, New Jerusalem, etc.)?
>Why do the Maccabean coins have Hebrew rather than Aramaic?
>Why are so many more Semitic words (even those called Hebraisti) in the
>Christian scriptures Aramaic rather than Hebrew?
>Why do the Aramaic Bar Kokhba letters outnumber the Hebrew ones?
>Why is the inscription on Jesus' cross said to have been in Roman, Greek,
>and "Hebraisti", without mention of Aramaic?
>Why does a Bar Kokhba letter-writer apologize for writing in Greek rather
>than "ebraesti", without mentioning Aramaic?
>Why does Philo say the Bible was written in "Chaldean"?
>Do any ancient writers ever call Aramaic Hebrew?

Interesting list of questions :-)

>I have some hypotheses, but I'd like to hear your views first.

After you Alphonse.. most definitely, Gaston :-)

Shalom,
Steven Avery
Queens, NY
www.messiahresearch.com