b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] When did Hebrew cease to be a commonly spoken language?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Dave Washburn <dwashbur AT nyx.net>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] When did Hebrew cease to be a commonly spoken language?
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 10:16:32 -0600

On Monday 16 June 2003 11:19, Peter Kirk wrote:

> When and where? What evidence do you have for the use of Aramaic
> targumim, and for what date? Consider Randall Buth's evidence, in the
> article whose reference I just posted, that the only Targum known from
> the second temple period is that of Job, which may have been a special
> case.

Actually, the DSS included a Targum of Leviticus as well. Would this also be
a "special case"? The problem is, because of the accident of preservation,
we don't know how many Targumim the people of the scrolls had. But the
presence of Targumim of at least two biblical books, as well as Aramaic
documents such as the Genesis Apocryphon and others, suggest that at least
some studied the Scriptures in Aramaic rather than (or perhaps in addition
to) Hebrew.

--
Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur