b-hebrew - RE: [b-hebrew] When did Hebrew cease to be a commonly spoken language?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Ken Penner" <pennerkm AT mcmaster.ca>
  • To: "'Jack Kilmon'" <jkilmon AT historian.net>, "'Karl Randolph'" <kwrandolph AT email.com>, "'Hebrew'" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: RE: [b-hebrew] When did Hebrew cease to be a commonly spoken language?
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 10:50:33 -0400

Jack wrote:
> ALL of the Semitic inscriptions on all of the catalogued
> ossuaria are in Aramaic.
> The language commonly spoken will be the language commonly
> misspelled or grammatically incorrect on ossuaria, ostraca,
> graffiti, and that is nearly exclusively Aramaic.

I agree that Aramaic was the most commonly spoken language at that time and
place.
However (I expect you agree, Jack), this does not mean that Hebrew was not a
commonly spoken language as well. As Trevor notes, bilingualism is likely.
I'd be interested to know how much of the graffiti does not consist of
personal names. The Bar Kokhba documents abundantly attest Aramaic names
(Bar- rather than Ben-) within Hebrew documents.

Ken Penner, McMaster/DSS
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PennerThesis