b-hebrew - RE: [b-hebrew] When did Hebrew cease to be a commonly spoken language?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: "Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [b-hebrew] When did Hebrew cease to be a commonly spoken language?
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 20:52:01 -0500

Thanks for the many responses. It has been a learning experience for me.

In general, the picture I get is that Aramaic was the main language spoken in
the market, on the street, in the homes. Because it uses the same alphabet as
does Hebrew, those who knew the phonetic value of Hebrew writing could also
write in Aramaic. However, because Aramaic was considered a lowly language
not fit for official documents (which included religious documents) people
would try to use Hebrew whenever possible for these uses and when trying to
show how erudite they were.

Matthew, as a tax collector, probably knew Hebrew well enough to write his
official documents and records of his taxes. Therefore, he could very well
have written his gospel originally in Hebrew.

As for Hebrew, it was spoken by the learned, but because it was the language
of learning and most people had at least a rudimentary education in Hebrew,
it was almost universally understood. I suspect that only a small percentage
of the people and then only the most learned had a fluent knowledge of
Hebrew, hence the development of Mishnaic Hebrew. But for all intents and
purposes, Hebrew had ceased to be the main language spoken in the streets
during the second temple period.

A similar situation was China about a century ago. Today there are two main
languages: Mandarin and Cantonese, each with its corona of dialects. But a
hundred years ago, there was a third Chinese language which was used for all
official records and documents. The educated people acquired a speaking
knowledge of that language and would speak it while doing their official
business. It was not just a dead language, it continued to develop, but
nowhere was it used on the street for all and sundry purposes.

As for the supposedly Aramaic names, how do we know that they were not
hanging on to an archaic pronunciation of Hebrew? Biblical Hebrew was
somewhat fluid in its spelling, an indication of phonetic writing. I have
noticed quite a few nouns that were written sometimes with a final heh,
sometimes without, leading me to wonder if pre-exilic Hebrew may have been
pronounced with a final vowel, or sometimes with a vowel then h sound. That
would then explain the Greek transliteration of “pascha”, “sabata” and others.

Karl W. Randolph.