b-hebrew - RE: [b-hebrew] When did Hebrew cease to be a commonly spoken language?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Liz Fried" <lizfried AT umich.edu>
  • To: "'Hebrew'" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [b-hebrew] When did Hebrew cease to be a commonly spoken language?
  • Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2003 10:15:44 -0400

Peter Kirk wrote

> The Jews living at Elephantine i.e. Aswan may well have lost their
> Hebrew language just like many migrant communities lose theirs in a
> melting pot. That doesn't mean that the people back home lost their
> language. Italian Americans may have to write letters in English, even
> to relatives in Italy; in America they have lost their language, but
> that doesn't mean it is no longer spoken in Italy.

Dear Peter,
This can't be the answer. Otherwise the letters would be in demotic,
the language of the larger community. The letters attest to intermarriage
with Egyptians. Marriage contracts, dowry lists between Jews and
Egyptians are in Aramaic (the ones we have). Furthermore, letters
between the official satrapal court and the priests of the temple of
Khnum on the island are in demotic, whereas it is in Aramaic for the
priests of YHW. Why didn't the Jews speak Demotic then?
As for the Jews back home, the letter to the governor and to the priests
of the temple of YHWH in Jersualem was in Aramaic.
(Sorry for replying so late to this.)

This is a fascinating thread.
Liz Fried