b-hebrew - RE: [b-hebrew] Nephesh Mesopotamian myths

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Lisbeth S. Fried" <lizfried AT umich.edu>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [b-hebrew] Nephesh Mesopotamian myths
  • Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2003 10:16:13 -0500

Dear Walter,
We are on the same wave-length here.
The speech put into the mouth of the Rabshekeh by the Deuteronomist
(as I believe) reflects Hebraic thinking. According to 2 Kings 18:27
the dead, alive in Sheol, are condemned to eat their own dung and
drink their own urine.
I would think at the least that this requires a body, first to produce
the dung and urine, then to eat it!
Blech!
Liz